Agenda announcements events Meetings

9/01/20 General Meeting Agenda

6pm – Call Meeting to Order, Roll call


  • Jenny Reed – Klamath Area on Aging
  • Kendra Santiago – Blue Zones


  • Feedback on Community Sale
  • Board Member at Large Positions
  • “Act it Out” game
  • Coupon for local restaurant

Public Comment


Free Gift for all First Time Visitors (While supplies last)

Agenda Meetings

8/18/20 Board Meeting Agenda

6pm – Call Meeting to order/Roll Call

Treasurer’s Report

Old Business

  • Approve minutes of July 21 and August 4, 2020
  • Last Day for School Lunch program / handouts and swag
  • Banner ordered
  • Flea Market/Yard Sale/Sidewalk Sale – August 22

New Business

  • Newsletter for September, October, November & December
  • Board Positions / Application
  • Annual Business Meeting

Public Comment


Meeting Minutes Meetings

Meeting Minutes 6/16/2020

Mills Neighborhood Association

Board Meeting – held 6/16/2020 @ 601 E. Main St.


  1. Call to Order – President Rodriguez called the meeting to order at 6:08pm
  2. Roll Call
    1. Board members present: President Isabel Rodriguez, Vice President Patrick Sullivan, Secretary/Treasurer Kaitlin Hakanson, At-large member Terra Russo. Absent: At-large members Minea Kiss and Dale Day (excused).
    2. General members: Efren Gutierrez, Tabita Rodriguez, Brian Wiessmeyer
    3. Guests: None
  3. Treasurer’s Report
    1. Account balance: $810.65. New deposits: $100 donated by Brian and Aimee from Mills Flea Market profits. $500 donation from Sherry McManus. New account balance (after deposits): $1,410.65. Thank you for your donations!
    2. John Crawford provided a cell phone picture of a signed resignation statement. 
    3. Motion to officially recognize John Crawford’s resignation as Treasurer from MNA. 2nd: Kaitlin. Unanimous approval. Minutes from this meeting will be provided to Rogue Credit Union to remove him from the account. Kaitlin Hakanson is the official Treasurer for MNA until a new Treasurer is nominated and approved by the membership.
  4. Old Business
    1. Status of Web Page – the site is up and running. Kaitlin and Jonah have been adding information like meeting minutes and an event calendar. is our URL. Mailchimp extension was added to webpage so we can create email newsletters.
    2. Photos for Web Page – all board members are asked to send a headshot to Jonah to be added to the website. His email is
  5. New Business
    1. Flyers for Park & Play – Kaitlin will share flyers via email to board members. Copies have been posted to the MNA Facebook group. Terra will help distribute flyers to residents around Mills-Kiwanis Park about parking and traffic congestion on June 30th, the kick-off for the summer lunch program.
    2. Booth at Park & Play – Isabel and Terra are available on June 30th to sit at a MNA table. Would also like to distribute information to summer meal program participants – will decide later into summer what these materials will be.
    3. Donations – Need a storage spot for decorations and craft items being donated by Kathy Sagunsky. Brian has some limited storage space available. Kaitlin and Terra will meet with Kathy this Friday (6/19) to pick up items.
    4. Purchase of apronsMotion to purchase 6 plain black aprons from Walmart for MNA events at $7.88/each. 2nd: Kaitlin. Unanimous approval. Isabel will make the purchase with a check provided by MNA. Discussion about using iron-on vinyl to add our logo. Discussion about pricing banners and other items for events. Terra offered to ask Sign Pro is they can quote a price for a banner, and if they will give a discount to a non-profit.
    5. Chalk your Walk – Discussion about using chalk to write #CommunityLove around Mills, including ways to promote our org through social media using the hashtag. Patrick brought up that you can now buy spray chalk paint, which you could pair with a stencil. Discussion about stencil ideas, with the resolution that Patrick, Terra, and Brian would work on designing a stencil that can be 3D printed at Brian’s facility. They agreed to have something ready to present by the next general meeting (in mid-July). Motion: budget of $50 for spray chalk paint. 2nd: Patrick. Unanimous approval.
    6. Mills Community Garden – Terra attended the last garden work evening, and gave some details about the site. They need more help cleaning up the location – would be more inviting to gardeners and children. Discussion of doing a mural contest for students/youth to add character to the garden and make it more eye-catching. Could probably get paint donated, along with prizes for contest participants. A project like this would be good leverage for securing a grant.
      1. Discussion about Sustainable Klamath (who maintains the garden) and their interest in purchasing the Twisted Charm building to relocate the tool library (162 E. Main St.). Lot has space for ADA accessible raised beds. Brainstorming about ways to connect the community garden with Mills Elementary. Several people were very interested in this idea and seemed supportive of working with Sustainable Klamath to achieve this goal.
      2. Discussion about planting vegetables in the IYS planter box. Folks were interested in seeing pumpkins, watermelons, potatoes, and zucchini. Too late for this year?
    7. Reimbursement for expenses at IYS Spruce UpMotion to reimburse Isabel for the purchase of mulch and flowers used to “spruce up” the IYS building. 2nd: Patrick. Unanimous approval. Kaitlin will work with Isabel to total up the expenses and provide a reimbursement check.
  6. Public comment
    1. The next Mills Flea Market is planned for the 4th weekend in July (Sat. 7/25). Julia, who has attended a MNA meeting and who sold plants at the previous Flea Market, will be in charge.
    2. The Ross Ragland will be hosting drive-in movies at the Klamath County Fairgrounds over the summer. Stay tuned for details.
    3. Kaitlin and Patrick will finish laying mulch this Friday at 1:30pm.
    4. Brian is interested in being Treasurer for MNA, but would like more information about what the position entails. We provided some of the history of the organization, and Kaitlin will send him the current bylaws. Brian discussed his background in finance and some of the ideas he’s had for generating revenue for the org.

Adjourn – Meeting adjourned by President Rodriguez at 7:30pm

Meeting Minutes Meetings

Meeting Minutes 6/2/2020

Mills Neighborhood Association General Membership Meeting – held 6/02/2020 @ 601 E. Main St.


  1. Call to Order – President Rodriguez called the meeting to order at 6:00pm
  2. Roll Call
    1. Board members present: President Isabel Rodriguez, Secretary/Treasurer Kaitlin Hakanson, At-large member Terra Russo. Absent: Vice President Patrick Sullivan (excused), At-large members Minea Kiss and Dale Day (excused).
    2. General members: Efren Gutierrez, Tabita Rodriguez.
    3. Guests: Stephanie Martin (Mills Community Garden), Sarah Flanders (Klamath Works), Craig Schumann (IYS)

*lacking a quorum of general members, this is an unofficial meeting. No motions or voting can occur*

  1. Presentation by Stephanie Martin – Mills Community Garden
    1.  Stephanie is the new manager of the Mills Community Garden, which is run by Sustainable Klamath. She provided an overview of her plans to provide food sustainability using the garden, including educational workshops and other events. There are several plots still available, and they vary in size and price. There will be regular workdays on Thursday evenings from 5-8pm at the garden. Questions? Want to apply for a plot? Contact They are accepting donations of plants, seeds, and outdoor paint.
  2. Presentation by Craig Schumann – Integral Youth Services
    1. Received a grant to support summer lunch program and the creation of a nutrition hub. One of only 15 recipients for the grant nationwide (NRPA). The Klamath & Lake County Food Bank may not have a Produce Connection program this year. Park ‘N Play (modified for COVID) kickoff event will happen on 6/30 at Mills-Kiwanis Park from 12p – 1p. Event will be drive-thru style, providing 7 days of lunches and snacks. ¾ of meals being distributed are frozen. As part of the nutrition hub partnership (and to fulfill the grant), need to conduct neighborhood outreach.
    2. Discussion from members and guests about strategies for encouraging folks to sign up for SNAP benefits. Having reps who know how the process works. Going door to door (?)
  3. New date for clean-up at IYS
    1. Waiting to hear back from Patrick. Had to cancel last attempt due to weather.
    2. Shooting for a weekday when more folks are available.
  4. Donations
    1. Kathy, who donated holiday and other décor in the past has more items to give. She reached out through the MNA website. President Rodriguez looking for others to help go through items this week. Contact her if available.
  5. Public comment
    1. Sarah provided information about the Klamath Works community service program. Can’t do any regular work until folks can congregate safely. In the past, have provided up to 10 volunteers to work for 3 hours every other Tuesday.
    2. Sarah also mentioned the Peter R. Marsh Foundation, which provides funding for small community organizations.
  6. Adjourn – Meeting adjourned by President Rodriguez at 6:55pm
Meeting Minutes Meetings

Meeting Minutes 3/3/2020

Mills‌ ‌Neighborhood‌ ‌Association‌ ‌General‌ ‌Membership‌ ‌Meeting‌ ‌–‌ ‌held‌ ‌3/03/2020‌ ‌@‌ ‌601‌ ‌E.‌ ‌Main‌ ‌St.‌ ‌ 


‌I. Call‌ ‌to‌ ‌Order‌ ‌-‌ ‌‌President‌ ‌Rodriguez‌ ‌called‌ ‌the‌ ‌meeting‌ ‌to‌ ‌order‌ ‌at‌ ‌6:23pm‌ ‌

II. Roll‌ ‌Call‌ ‌

a. Board‌ ‌members‌ ‌present‌:‌ ‌President‌ ‌Isabel‌ ‌Rodriguez,‌ ‌Vice‌ ‌President‌ ‌Patrick‌ ‌Sullivan,‌ ‌Secretary‌ ‌Kaitlin‌ ‌Hakanson,‌ ‌At-large‌ ‌members‌ ‌Minea‌ ‌Kiss‌ ‌and‌ ‌Terra‌ ‌Russo.‌ ‌‌Absent:‌‌ ‌Dale‌ ‌Day‌ ‌(excused).‌ ‌

b. General‌ ‌members‌:‌ ‌Efren‌ ‌Gutierrez,‌ ‌Jonah‌ ‌Hakanson,‌ ‌Brian‌ ‌Wiessmeyer,‌ ‌Stephanie‌ ‌Hirche,‌ ‌Ellen‌ ‌O’Donnell,‌ ‌Linda‌ ‌Anderson‌ ‌c.Guests‌:‌ ‌Garth‌ ‌Hudson,‌ ‌Teresa‌ ‌Chipman‌ ‌III.

Old‌ ‌Business‌ ‌

a. Fundraisers‌ ‌‌–‌ ‌ ‌

●Collaborative‌ ‌pancake‌ ‌breakfast‌ ‌fundraiser‌ ‌-‌ ‌will‌ ‌be‌ ‌the‌ ‌Saturday‌ ‌before‌ ‌Easter,‌ ‌April‌ ‌11‌th‌,‌ ‌from‌ ‌8am‌ ‌–‌ ‌10am.‌ ‌Tickets‌ ‌are‌ ‌$12‌ ‌and‌ ‌include‌ ‌all-you-can-eat‌ ‌pancakes,‌ ‌sausage,‌ ‌eggs,‌ ‌and‌ ‌drinks.‌ ‌Stephanie‌ ‌has‌ ‌36‌ ‌tickets‌ ‌she‌ ‌is‌ ‌distributing‌ ‌to‌ ‌MNA‌ ‌members‌ ‌to‌ ‌sell‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌fundraiser.‌ ‌Walmart‌ ‌will‌ ‌be‌ ‌purchasing‌ ‌an‌ ‌Easter‌ ‌bunny‌ ‌costume‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌event‌ ‌in‌ ‌exchange‌ ‌for‌ ‌3‌ ‌tickets‌ ‌to‌ ‌the‌ ‌event.‌ ‌Volunteers‌ ‌needed‌ ‌–‌ ‌Teresa,‌ ‌Kaitlin,‌ ‌and‌ ‌Isabel‌ ‌agreed‌ ‌to‌ ‌join‌ ‌Stephanie‌ ‌to‌ ‌help‌ ‌with‌ ‌the‌ ‌event.‌ 

‌●Cinco‌ ‌de‌ ‌Mayo‌ ‌bake‌ ‌sale‌ ‌(on‌ ‌May‌ ‌4‌th‌)‌ ‌–‌ ‌the‌ ‌cost‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌booth‌ ‌may‌ ‌be‌ ‌$75,‌ ‌but‌ ‌they‌ ‌may‌ ‌be‌ ‌free‌ ‌for‌ ‌non-profits.‌ ‌

●Seeking‌ ‌app‌ ‌for‌ ‌Third‌ ‌Thursday‌ ‌–‌ ‌several‌ ‌board‌ ‌members‌ ‌are‌ ‌attempting‌ ‌to‌ ‌get‌ ‌an‌ ‌application‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌event,‌ ‌as‌ ‌none‌ ‌have‌ ‌been‌ ‌published‌ ‌yet.‌ ‌Discussion‌ ‌about‌ ‌selling‌ ‌funnel‌ ‌cakes,‌ ‌possibility‌ ‌of‌ ‌using‌ ‌El‌ ‌Palacio’s‌ ‌kitchen‌ ‌to‌ ‌prep‌ ‌the‌ ‌food.‌ ‌Minea‌ ‌asked‌ ‌if‌ ‌we‌ ‌would‌ ‌like‌ ‌Minnie‌ ‌and‌ ‌Mickey‌ ‌Mouse‌ ‌to‌ ‌be‌ ‌part‌ ‌of‌ ‌our‌ ‌display/table.‌ ‌Interest‌ ‌in‌ ‌having‌ ‌a‌ ‌specific‌ ‌activity‌ ‌for‌ ‌kids.‌ ‌Creating‌ ‌attractive‌ ‌swag,‌ ‌like‌ ‌stickers,‌ ‌and‌ ‌flyers.‌ ‌Terra‌ ‌is‌ ‌willing‌ ‌to‌ ‌help‌ ‌MNA‌ ‌with‌ ‌logistics‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌event,‌ ‌but‌ ‌she‌ ‌is‌ ‌responsible‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌Ross‌ ‌Ragland‌ ‌booth‌ ‌at‌ ‌the‌ ‌actual‌ ‌event‌ ‌so‌ ‌we‌ ‌would‌ ‌need‌ ‌other‌ ‌volunteers.‌ ‌

b. Lease‌ ‌option‌ ‌of‌ ‌IYS‌ ‌building‌‌ ‌–‌ ‌President‌ ‌Rodriguez‌ ‌spoke‌ ‌with‌ ‌Larry‌ ‌Zeilstra,‌ ‌Executive‌ ‌Director‌ ‌for‌ ‌IYS.‌ ‌He‌ ‌described‌ ‌the‌ ‌building‌ ‌as‌ ‌approximately‌ ‌3,000‌ ‌square‌ ‌feet,‌ ‌and‌ ‌at‌ ‌a‌ ‌rate‌ ‌of‌ ‌$0.50/sq.‌ ‌ft.,‌ ‌a‌ ‌lease‌ ‌would‌ ‌be‌ ‌about‌ ‌$1,500/month.‌ ‌He‌ ‌indicated‌ ‌that‌ ‌if‌ ‌MNA‌ ‌would‌ ‌like‌ ‌to‌ ‌sublet‌ ‌the‌ ‌space,‌ ‌they‌ ‌would‌ ‌require‌ ‌a‌ ‌$2‌ ‌million‌ ‌in‌ ‌insurance‌ ‌coverage‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌building.‌ ‌1‌ ‌ ‌Mills‌ ‌Neighborhood‌ ‌Association‌ ‌General‌ ‌Membership‌ ‌Meeting‌ ‌–‌ ‌held‌ ‌3/03/2020‌ ‌@‌ ‌601‌ ‌E.‌ ‌Main‌ ‌St.‌ ‌ ‌

IV. New‌ ‌Business‌ ‌a. ‌The‌ ‌newly‌ ‌revised‌ ‌logo‌ ‌was‌ ‌shown‌ ‌to‌ ‌the‌ ‌group.‌ ‌A‌ ‌small‌ ‌heart‌ ‌was‌ ‌added‌ ‌to‌ ‌the‌ ‌house‌ ‌within‌ ‌the‌ ‌tulip‌ ‌design,‌ ‌and‌ ‌no‌ ‌one‌ ‌had‌ ‌any‌ ‌objections.‌ ‌People‌ ‌are‌ ‌ready‌ ‌to‌ ‌move‌ ‌forward‌ ‌with‌ ‌using‌ ‌the‌ ‌logo‌ ‌for‌ ‌swag‌ ‌items‌ ‌to‌ ‌promote‌ ‌the‌ ‌organization.‌ ‌

V. Public‌ ‌Comment‌‌ ‌–‌ ‌ ‌

a.Linda‌ ‌Anderson‌ ‌discussed‌ ‌the‌ ‌Dream$avers‌ ‌program‌ ‌through‌ ‌Washington‌ ‌Federal‌ ‌Bank.‌ ‌You‌ ‌fill‌ ‌out‌ ‌an‌ ‌application,‌ ‌and‌ ‌if‌ ‌you‌ ‌are‌ ‌approved,‌ ‌must‌ ‌deposit‌ ‌$100‌ ‌in‌ ‌a‌ ‌savings‌ ‌account‌ ‌each‌ ‌month.‌ ‌While‌ ‌enrolled‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌program,‌ ‌your‌ ‌deposits‌ ‌will‌ ‌be‌ ‌triple‌ ‌matched‌ ‌by‌ ‌the‌ ‌bank.‌ ‌The‌ ‌money‌ ‌can‌ ‌be‌ ‌used‌ ‌for‌ ‌a‌ ‌down‌ ‌payment‌ ‌on‌ ‌a‌ ‌house,‌ ‌housing‌ ‌upgrades,‌ ‌college,‌ ‌small‌ ‌business,‌ ‌etc.‌ ‌If‌ ‌family‌ ‌of‌ ‌1‌ ‌applying,‌ ‌annual‌ ‌income‌ ‌must‌ ‌be‌ ‌less‌ ‌than‌ ‌$45,000.‌ ‌Pamela‌ ‌in‌ ‌suite‌ ‌202‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌Washington‌ ‌Federal‌ ‌Bank‌ ‌building‌ ‌can‌ ‌answer‌ ‌other‌ ‌questions‌ ‌about‌ ‌the‌ ‌program‌ ‌and‌ ‌eligibility.‌ 

‌b.Volunteers‌ ‌are‌ ‌still‌ ‌needed‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌Mills‌ ‌Elementary‌ ‌School‌ ‌Gotcha‌ ‌store.‌ ‌The‌ ‌activity‌ ‌operates‌ ‌on‌ ‌Fridays‌ ‌from‌ ‌1-3pm.‌ ‌

c.Sustainable‌ ‌Klamath‌ ‌is‌ ‌having‌ ‌a‌ ‌spring‌ ‌clean-up‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌Mills‌ ‌Community‌ ‌Garden‌ ‌on‌ ‌Orchard‌ ‌St.‌ ‌on‌ ‌Sunday,‌ ‌March‌ ‌8‌ ‌from‌ ‌1-3pm.‌ ‌

d.Discussion‌ ‌about‌ ‌doing‌ ‌another‌ ‌spring‌ ‌clean-up‌ ‌event‌ ‌for‌ ‌the‌ ‌neighborhood.‌ ‌President‌ ‌Rodriguez‌ ‌indicated‌ ‌that‌ ‌there‌ ‌were‌ ‌some‌ ‌issues‌ ‌last‌ ‌time,‌ ‌including‌ ‌people‌ ‌outside‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌neighborhood‌ ‌bringing‌ ‌in‌ ‌multiple‌ ‌appliances‌ ‌to‌ ‌be‌ ‌hauled.‌ ‌Alternative‌ ‌ideas‌ ‌included‌ ‌a‌ ‌trash‌ ‌pick-up‌ ‌day,‌ ‌focusing‌ ‌on‌ ‌the‌ ‌alleys‌ ‌in‌ ‌the‌ ‌neighborhood.‌ ‌Illegal‌ ‌dumping‌ ‌has‌ ‌also‌ ‌happened‌ ‌at‌ ‌several‌ ‌businesses‌ ‌on‌ ‌E.‌ ‌Main.‌ 

‌●Discussion‌ ‌shifted‌ ‌to‌ ‌the‌ ‌need‌ ‌for‌ ‌more‌ ‌trash‌ ‌receptacles‌ ‌on‌ ‌East‌ ‌Main‌ ‌and‌ ‌clarifying‌ ‌who‌ ‌is‌ ‌responsible‌ ‌for‌ ‌emptying‌ ‌the‌ ‌trash‌ ‌cans.‌ ‌The‌ ‌current‌ ‌practice‌ ‌is‌ ‌that‌ ‌a‌ ‌business‌ ‌on‌ ‌East‌ ‌Main‌ ‌with‌ ‌a‌ ‌green‌ ‌metal‌ ‌trash‌ ‌can‌ ‌is‌ ‌responsible‌ ‌for‌ ‌disposing‌ ‌of‌ ‌the‌ ‌trash.‌ ‌Interest‌ ‌in‌ ‌fundraising‌ ‌for‌ ‌more‌ ‌metal‌ ‌trash‌ ‌cans‌ ‌and/or‌ ‌creating‌ ‌trashcans‌ ‌from‌ ‌concrete.‌ ‌Several‌ ‌East‌ ‌Main‌ ‌businesses‌ ‌are‌ ‌also‌ ‌interested‌ ‌in‌ ‌getting‌ ‌metal‌ ‌planters.‌ ‌e.Brian‌ ‌is‌ ‌working‌ ‌on‌ ‌3D‌ ‌printed‌ ‌keychains‌ ‌for‌ ‌MNA.‌ ‌f.If‌ ‌you‌ ‌can’t‌ ‌sell‌ ‌all‌ ‌of‌ ‌your‌ ‌pancake‌ ‌breakfast‌ ‌tickets,‌ ‌get‌ ‌in‌ ‌touch‌ ‌with‌ ‌Stephanie.‌ ‌

VI.Adjourn‌ ‌-‌ ‌‌Meeting‌ ‌adjourned‌ ‌by‌ ‌President‌ ‌Rodriguez‌ ‌at‌ ‌7:10pm‌ ‌DRAFT MINUTES

Agenda announcements Meetings

8/4/20 General Meeting Agenda

Call Meeting to order/Roll Call

Old Business

  • Aprons purchased
  • Association pens
  • Banner
  • Final School Lunch Give Away – August 25
  • Piano in Mills-Kiwanis Park

New Business

  • Flea Market/Sidewalk Sale/Yard sales
  • Vacant Board Positions/Treasurer’s position
  • Ideas for expenditure(s) or project(s) for Grant Funds Received

Public Comment


Agenda Meetings

Agenda for MNA Board Meeting 2/18/20

Info for Tuesday, Feb. 18th, 2020

  • 5 PM work session to take down remaining Christmas decorations
  • Agenda for 6 PM board meeting:
  • Call Meeting to Order/Roll Call
  • Approval of Minutes
  • January 21 Board Meeting
  • February 4 Membership Meeting
  • Treasurer’s Report
  • Resignation of Treasurer/Appointment of Interim Treasurer

Old Business

  • Selection of final MNA Logo (each person gets a vote)
  • Fundraising/Grant Writing Chairperson

New Business

  • Klamath Area on Aging
  • Mills PTO
  • Report of Membership Committee
  • Lease option of IYS BuildingPublic CommentAdjourn
Meeting Minutes Meetings

General Membership Meeting 12/03/2019

held @ 601 E. Main St.


    1. President Rodriguez called the meeting to order at 6:03pm
  2. ROLL CALL – President Rodriguez
    • Board members present: President Isabel Rodriguez, Vice President Patrick Sullivan, Treasurer John Crawford, Secretary Kaitlin Hakanson; At-large members Dale Day, Terra Russo, and Minea Kiss
    • Board members absent: none
    • General members present: Efren Gutierrez, Jonah Hakanson
    • Guests: Kendra Santiago (Blue Zones), Glenn Gailis
    • Approval of agenda – unanimous approval
    • Approval of Nov. 19 board meeting minutes – tabled until next meeting
  4. Presentation by Chad Tramp of Fire District No. 1 regarding fire and holiday safety – Mr. Tramp, who is part of the fire district’s fire prevention team, spoke about some of the most common fire hazards. Some key points were:
    • Make sure you have working smoke detectors, and test them at least once a year
      • The department will have a program that offers free smoke detectors and installation
    • Practice leaving your home so that you are prepared if there is an emergency (this includes children)
    • Space heaters shouldn’t be left on if you are not home. Older models may lack important safety features, so buy them new when possible
    • Live Christmas trees need to be watered regularly
      • Water and electricity are a dangerous combination!
    • Most extension cords are meant to be used temporarily – surge protectors with a fuse/breaker are the safest
      • If using extension cords outside, use heavy duty cords with fuses/breakers
    • In 2018, there were 66 fatal incidents involving fire in the state of Oregon
      • Smoke can fill a house in 1-2 minutes – you must act quickly
      • Once you leave the structure, don’t go back in – “Get out, stay out!”
      • 90% of pets escape fires on their own
    • Most emergency calls are medical-related. Every minute counts
      • Make sure your address is visible from the street – any fire station can provide high visibility address signs if you need one.

The department is making updates to their website, where anyone can find a wealth of information about common fire hazards and safety precautions. Mr. Tramp would like to offer a summer fire extinguisher class/demonstration for the neighborhood.

  1. Presentation regarding lending library in Mills-Kiwanis Park – Secretary Hakanson shared information about a project by the Klamath County library and OregonTech to install a free lending library/book exchange in the park. It will be filled with books for children. The library is seeking input on the shape, color scheme, and placement. They have been invited to future MNA meetings with the hope that they will take input from residents of the neighborhood.
  2. Formation of committees – will happen at next board meeting (Dec. 17)
  3. Ideas and suggestions for upcoming projects in 2020
    • Blue Zones – Happy to Chat bench
    • At-large member Day – Hot dogs, bouncy house, etc. in the summer
    • Third Thursday, Farmers Market – set up a table to share info
    • Give Back Day (May/June) – Blue Zones
      • Dr. Gailis – many of the corner beds on E. Main need amendments. May want to do a bed prep day, then a planting day
    • Mr. Hakanson – fix curbs throughout the neighborhood
    • Treasurer Crawford – restroom in Mills-Kiwanis park
    • Logo for MNA – At-large member Kiss and Mr. Gutierrez expressed interest in brainstorming logo ideas at a later meeting
    • President Rodriguez informed the group that IYS is seeking a DHS-certified daycare facility for the IYS building. May have to move meeting place in the future.
    • A 3D printing-type business is moving into the Basin Industrial Supply building.
    • Mr. Hakanson can set up a WordPress site for free for MNA, and will put the site on shared hosting that the Hakansons already pay for. The total cost for the website to get going will be $12, which is the cost to purchase a domain for 1 year.
    • Dr. Gailis remarked that he is impressed with what MNA is doing and used the phrase “do the right thing” as a core value that the organization uses to guide activities.
    • Meeting adjourned by President Rodriguez at 7:44 p.m.

Meeting Minutes Meetings

Board Meeting Minutes 11/19/2019

Mills Neighborhood Association

Board Meeting – held 11/19/2019 @ 601 E. Main St.

    • President Rodriguez called the meeting to order at 6:17pm
  2. ROLL CALL – President Rodriguez
    • Board members present: President Isabel Rodriguez, Vice President Patrick Sullivan, Secretary Kaitlin Hakanson, Treasurer John Crawford, At-large member Minea Kiss, At-large member Terra Russo (arrived at 6:19)
    • Board members absent: At-large member Dale Day (excused)
    • General members present: Efren Gutierrez
    • Guests: none
    1. Approval of agenda – unanimous approval
    2. Approval of Nov. 5 general meeting minutes – Motion: VP Sullivan; 2nd: Efren G. – unanimous approval
  4. TREASURER’S REPORT – current balance: $1,080.18, 3 sets of dues received since last meeting. Successfully closed old checking account and opened new account. One outstanding signature from the Board for account to be activated. Treasurer Crawford will be meeting with President Rodriguez to compile existing paperwork for MNA for transactions. He also discussed his plans for organizing receipts and tracking individual transactions. General discussion about keeping costs as low as possible, and always looking for opportunities to complete projects with volunteer help. When money is involved, it should be for a specific purpose. Received 2 sets of checks – President Rodriguez will check to make sure they are for the right account.
    1. MNA website – Discussion of pursuing a less expensive option for creating and maintaining a web presence. Secretary Hakanson informed the group that Jonah Hakanson would be willing to donate his time to set up hosting and purchase a domain for the website. He has been tasked with creating an invoice and proposal for the website for the other members to review. All agreed that it should be a .org domain.
    2. Formation of committees – Isabel will reach out to Linda Anderson about involvement in the grants/fundraising committee. At-large board member Terra Russo is also interested. At the next general meeting, will discuss the formation of the Membership Committee and Budget Committee.
    3. Decoration of trees along East Main Street, online sign-up for help with decorating – John Bellon informed President Rodriguez that there have been no objections from the city about hanging decorations on trees on East Main, but there are a few conditions: décor must be lightweight; non-fragile ornaments; hang on branches toward center of the tree.
      • Discussion about tree decorating style – wrapping the tree trunk with ornaments on a wire? Hanging individual ornaments and ribbons? Have 78 large red bows – use staples, nails, or wire to attach to trees? Also have wide mesh for creating large bows. All agreed to meet up on Sunday, Nov. 24 at 1pm to experiment with decorations.
      • Ideas for future holiday decorating – seeking donations or deeply discounted decorations after the 2019 holiday season. Creating a “sponsored tree” program where businesses contribute decorations and get a shout out for their contribution. Creating unique ornaments as a community art activity. Signature symbols of the neighborhood – horseshoe (Mills Mustangs), tulip. At-large member Russo discussed the importance of branding Mills so that things associated with the neighborhood, and our organization, are more recognizable.
    1. Approval of $50 renewal fee for Secretary of State filing – At-large member Russo introduced the motion, seconded by VP Sullivan – unanimous approval
      • Secretary Hakanson will prepare the filing and update the principal place of business. President Rodriguez will provide a check for the filing.
    2. Determining a principal place of business (to include a possible lease agreement for the IYS building) – Discussion about the types of things we would like to use a permanent space for. Possibility of subletting or sharing a lease agreement with other public benefit organizations such as Klamath Farmers Online Marketplace (KFOM), Blue Zones, etc. For now, IYS does not have an issue with us using the building. Isabel will touch base with other organizations to see if they are interested. For the Secretary of State filing, we will be using Isabel’s home address.
    3. Reimbursement of expenses of Annual Business Meeting – President Rodriguez and Secretary Hakanson both used personal funds to buy food and other items for the organization’s annual meeting. Since the new bank account was not available at the time, they kept their receipts to be reimbursed at a later date. VP Sullivan pointed out that having a budget for each event would help avoid having to do reimbursements. The group agreed that ideally all purchases will be made directly by the organization. VP Sullivan motioned to approve the 2 reimbursements, and it was seconded by Treasurer Crawford. Unanimous approval by the board.
    1. Create a written Proclamation for the City of Klamath Falls to recognize the official designation of the tulip as the official flower of the neighborhood. President Rodriguez spoke to Mayor Westfall and was excited to share the news. Assigned to: President Rodriguez
    2. Create a letter for Mexico Video to thank them for planting and maintaining multiple corners as part of the “Pick a Corner, Plant a Flower” project. Assigned to: Secretary Hakanson
  8. PUBLIC COMMENT – none
    • Meeting adjourned by President Rodriguez at 7:30pm
Meeting Minutes Meetings

General Meeting Minutes 11/05/2019

Mills Neighborhood Association

General Meeting – held 11/05/2019 @ 601 E. Main St.

    • President Rodriguez called the meeting to order at 6:01pm
  2. ROLL CALL – President Rodriguez
    • Board members present: President Isabel Rodriguez, Vice President Patrick Sullivan, Secretary Kaitlin Hakanson; At-large member Dale Day
    • Board members absent: At-large members Terra Russo (excused), Minea Kiss (excused)
    • General members present: John Crawford, Jonah Hakanson, Linda Anderson, Efren Gutierrez, Tabita Rodriguez
    • Guests:John Bellon (Klamath Falls City Parks)
    1. Approval of agenda – unanimous approval
    2. Approval of Oct. 15 annual meeting minutes – unanimous approval
  4. Ratification of appointment of Treasurer by membership – John Crawford communicated to the Board his interest in being Treasurer. He accepted the appointment, and it received unanimous approval by the membership present.
  5. Open for a motion to name signers on new bank account
    1. In order to open a new bank account, Rogue Credit Union requests that the meeting minutes regarding the initiation of the new account include the names of all signatories. Two signers will be required for any financial transaction performed on behalf of the Association.
    2. Mr. Hakanson introduced a motion to nominate signatories. The general membership nominated and unanimously approved the following board officers as signatories on the Rogue CU bank account for Mills Neighborhood Association: Isabel Rodriguez, Patrick Sullivan, Kaitlin Hakanson, and John Crawford.
  6. Request for volunteers for East Main Street Christmas decorations display
    1. A surplus of Christmas decorations were donated to the Association last year. Mr. Bellon, on behalf of the Association, emailed several other city officials regarding appropriate decoration placement in the trees down East Main Street. Not all officials have responded, but Mr. Bellon gave the thumbs up to place the decorations in the trees as long as they weren’t dangling over the street or sidewalk. At-large member Day pointed out that last year, volunteers had to use long pieces of wire to make sure decorations stayed in the trees. VP Sullivan suggested that we coordinate a work party to put up the decorations. It was proposed that an inventory of decorations will happen at 5pm on Nov. 19th, as a work session before the board meeting. The consensus of the group was to put up the decorations on Saturday, Nov. 23. A volunteer sign-up sheet was passed around and retained by Secretary Hakanson. Mr. Bellon suggested contacting Klamath Works, Reach, IYS and Mentor Oregon if we need additional volunteer help.
    1. Ratification of new bylaws – Discussion centered around the boundary described in the proposed bylaws, especially concerning the inclusion of the Arthur Village townhouses. Mr. Hakanson clarified the location of the townhouses on Google Maps. President Rodriguez noted several edits to the bylaws, which were then recorded by Secretary Hakanson. There was unanimous approval by the membership and board for adopting the new bylaws as read, to include the edits.
    2. Mr. Hakanson submitted a written request to create a permanent membership committee. Discussion included the need to ensure all members of the Association are enfranchised. Ms. Anderson discussed the idea of creating block stewards to identify new residents and provide information about the Association. President Rodriguez has been reviewing county accessor maps (online) to create a list of property owners in the neighborhood. The purpose of the project is to coordinate a Welcome Wagon for new residents and to identify the owners of vacant property, among other things. Mr. Hakanson motioned to table the formation of the membership committee until the next general meeting. The motion was seconded and approved.
  8. CANCELLED – Presentation by Fire District #1 on common fire dangers in wintertime; Entertainment by Mincee
    1. Using the Association website to connect residents that need help with home maintenance with teenagers or other residents that can help for a small fee. Waivers were proposed as a solution to liability and privacy concerns. Bethany at IYS was identified as a contact that could possibly guide the development of such a job board.
    2. Once the bank account is resolved and we are able to pay for the website for the Association, VP Sullivan requested input on getting the website up and running.
    3. A mission statement for the organization, to be featured on the website, will be discussed at the next general meeting.
    4. Blue Zones would like to support the development of a newsletter along the lines of Chiloquin News. A link to the events page moderated by Chiloquin News will be featured on our website.
    5. President Rodriguez will be attending the upcoming Answer People luncheon. Answer People is a local information network that helps answer a variety of logistical questions related to living in Klamath County.
    6. Craig Schumann, facilities manager for IYS, was present at the annual meeting and let President Rodriguez know that MNA was taking good care of the building, and that we are welcome to continue using the facility. The owner of Yesterday’s Plaza has also extended an invitation for the Association to use their facilities.
    7. At-large member Day informed the group that during a recent visit to Mills-Kiwanis Park, he spoke with a group of Seniors from Oregon Tech that have secured a grant to improve a park in the area. He invited them to the next board meeting for the Association and provided them with President Rodriguez’s phone number. Mr. Bellon was excited to hear about the project, and VP Sullivan discussed the recent project to upgrade the playground at Moore Park. Mr. Bellon expressed the need for volunteers to help with installing the new equipment once everything is finalized, and that the Association may want to consider a fundraising opportunity attached to the project.
    • Meeting adjourned by President Rodriguez at 7:11 p.m.